The best canister filter can only be picked after reviewing a sizable no of the best filters in the market. In this review, we reveal our top picks for the best aquarium filter after intensive tests, quality checks and comparisons.
Aquarium fish and plants are not just beautiful but they are also interesting to watch. Whether you love to keep aquarium fish as pets or you just love how lively and attractive an aquarium makes your home look, you need to take good care of the aquarium to maintain its beautiful look and keep the fish and plants alive and healthy.
To attain this, you need to get the best internal aquarium filter that will help achieve your goals cost-effectively.
Aquariums come in different sizes, shapes and with different species of plants and fish. Regardless of the size of your aquarium, you need to keep it fresh and free and free of toxins. Over a period of time, aquariums accumulate debris from fish food, dirt and other forms of waste that are converted to by-products which are harmful to aquarium fish, plants and the overall health of your aquarium.
In nature, lakes, rivers, and streams have a way of getting rid of debris and other by-products. However, aquariums require you to have a way to get rid of the accumulated debris. The most efficient and reliable way to do this is by investing in an ideal Canister Filter.
How a Canister Filter Works
Canister filters are designed to effectively remove dirt and debris in an aquarium. They come in different sizes and with different features depending on the manufacturer. A canister filter works by sucking aquarium water sucked into the intake hose, tube and down into the filter.
When the water gets in the canister, it is pushed through a large sponge that traps large dirt particles and debris. The water is pumped from bottom to top, top to bottom, back to front, centre out or outside depending on the brand or model of the canister filter.
The water is then taken through the pre-filter media then it is moved on to the other media stages such as activated charcoal, then zeolite and later a water polisher. Passing the water through different types of media makes it possible to remove chemical, biological and mechanical impurities in water.
When the water is passed through all the media types you have, it is pumped back into the tank. Using the top canister Filter will ensure that this water pumped back into your fish tank is of the Optimum quality.
Advantages of using the best canister Filter
There are so many benefits of using a canister filter in your aquarium. The top-rated canister filter can not only make it easier for you to remove dirt and debris from your aquarium but it also has other great benefits. Here are some of the major benefits of a canister filter.
1. Easy Installation
Installing a canister filter in your aquarium is easier than installing any other type of filter. Most canister filters come with easy-to-follow instructions to guide you on the process.
It is important for you to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to ensure that the setup procedure is done correctly.
2. Easy to Clean and Maintain
These filters can easily be assembled to give you easy access to the internal components for effective cleaning. They come with a manufacturer’s manual that is easy to read. The manual also helps you understand how to carry out maintenance of the canister filter.
3. Quiet Operation
Unlike most filters, canister filters provide you with quiet operation. A canister filter produces less noise when operating, making it a great selection for those looking for a quiet and effective way to clean their aquarium.
See also: Top-rated external filters for aquariums
4. Provides High Flow Rates
When compared to other types of filters, these filters provide higher and better flow rates. A higher flow rate ensures that that the filtration process takes less time thus saving you time and energy. Some of these filters can have a flow rate of up to 320 gallons per hour.
5. Media Selection Flexibility
Most canister filters provide you with a wide range of filtration media to choose from. However; it is important for you to know and understand how each media works when shopping for a canister filter.
Proper research is needed to identify the best filtration media that suits your filtration needs. The type of filtration media you select can determine the amount of maintenance needed for the canister.
6. Saving on your Hard Earned Cash
Choosing the right Canister for your tank will save you money due to the durability and efficiency of the filter.
Top 6 Canister Filters
Selecting the best filter can be very challenging for the first-time buyer. There are so many makes and types on the market today, making it harder for most people to identify the best one that offers them value for their money.
If you are confused about which one to purchase for your aquarium, we will help you make the right decision with our reviews taking into consideration quality, durability, and reliability.
Here are the reviews:
The Fluval Fx6 Aquarium Canister Filter is a durable and reliable filter that is from a reputable company. It is a compact canister filter that is capable of handling water in tanks that hold a water capacity of 250 gallons to 400 gallons.
The canister filter has a self-priming start system that prepares the canister for the filtration process immediately after you connect it.
The Fluval Fx6 Aquarium Canister Filter comes with a clog-proof intake strainer that is effective for longer. It has aquastop valves that are very easy to clean and maintain, even for tropical aquariums.
The valves separate the housing from the filter in a single step to prevent leaks and make maintenance easier and faster for the user.
- The canister filter is capable of effectively cleaning water in for tanks ranging from 250 gallons to 400 gallons
- It comes with a self-priming start system that prepares the canister for filtration as soon as you connect it.
- The Fluval Fx6 Aquarium Canister Filter comes with aquastop valves that are very easy to clean and maintain, even for tropical aquariums.
- It has a clog-proof intake strainer, thus you don’t have to worry about debris getting past it.
- The canister filter is from a reputable company.
- It has a shaky output nozzle that moves when water flows.
See also: Top-rated 55 gallon fish tank filter
2) EHEIM Classic External Canister
EHEIM Classic External Canister Filter is a quality canister filter that is from a reputable company that has been in the industry for many years.
It is a low-power consuming filter with electronics that consume from 5 watts for the EHEIM 150 to 65 watts for the 1500XL model. It has a robust construction frame to ensure strength and durability.
The canister filter has a silent motor which ensures quiet operation. It is available for 40, 66, and 90-gallon tanks and comes complete with Eheim mech and Substrat Pro media.
The filter does not have a bypass to prevent debris from going through the media, resulting in clear water. It has fixed Permo-elastic silicon seal rings on the pump head for easy and safe closing after cleaning and maintenance.
- The canister filter does not have media trays past filtration media for greater water flow.
- It is a compact canister filter that operates quietly.
- The EHEIM Classic Canister Filter has a solid and durable design.
- The filtration media is included in the kit.
- It consumes relatively low power compared to other canister filters.
- The canister filter has fixed Permo-elastic silicon seal rings on the pump head for easy and safe closing after cleaning.
- It has no media trays thus cleaning can be difficult.
- The canister filter does not have a self-priming feature.
- The installation instructions are hard to follow, making it hard for a novice to use.
- It does not come with activated carbon.
3) Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filter
Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filter is a multi-stage filter from a reputable company that is known for making heavy-duty canister filters. It can be used for either saltwater or freshwater aquariums and is therefore ideal for aquariums with goldfish.
The canister filter is very easy to install since the manufacturer provides you with all the necessary parts you need. It has flow rate control valves, which adjust the water flow to prevent any leaks while doing maintenance. The filter has a translucent body which lets you know when you need to do maintenance.
It comes with ergonomically designed baskets for easy removal for priming. It comes with large filter trays that last a long time before needing replacement. The canister filter uses Penn Plax Cascade Floss pads and Bio Sponges which are easily available filter media.
- It comes with all the parts that you need to install.
- The canister filter comes with flow rate control valves to prevent any leaks during maintenance.
- It has large filter trays that last for a very long time before requiring replacement.
- The Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filter can be used for either saltwater or freshwater aquariums.
- It operates quietly.
- The filter’s body is translucent to lets you know when you need to do maintenance.
- The Penn Plax Cascade Floss pads and Bio Sponges are easily available filter media.
- Connecting the filter’s tubes can be challenging.
4) Marineland Magniflow Canister
The Marineland Magniflow Canister Filter is a quality and reliable canister filter that can be used for both marine and freshwater aquariums. It is a multistage filter that guarantees a healthy and clean aquatic condition for your fish.
The canister filter comes with user-friendly components that are easy to clean and maintain.
The filter has a lid that creates a water-tight seal when compressed and easily lifts up for simple removal. It comes with Stack n’ Flow filter plate that can hold different media layers for full mechanical, biological and chemical filtration.
The canister filter includes a fast-prime button that quickly loads the filter chamber with water for a quick, self-priming setup. It includes a specially-designed valve that allows you to promptly close down the flow of water and separate the cover from the engine housing for easy, leakage-free maintenance.
- The multistage filter guarantees a healthy and clean aquatic condition for your aquarium.
- It comes with a unique valve that allows you to promptly close down the flow of water and separate the cover from the engine housing for easy maintenance.
- The canister filter can be used for both marine and freshwater aquariums.
- It has user-friendly components that are very easy to clean and maintain.
- The Stack n’ Flow filter plate is capable of holding different media layers for a fully mechanical, biological and chemical filtration process.
- It has a fast-prime button that effectively and easily loads the filter chamber with water for a fast self-priming setup.
5) Fluval G Series Filter
Fluval G6 External Canister Filter is a high-quality canister filter that comes with quality parts that are easy to assemble.
The filter works silently and does not make any noise during operation. It comes with an internal thermometer that is very accurate, so don’t need to stick a thermometer in your aquarium.
The filter has a built-in Flow Monitor that flashes the rate constantly. It also comes with water parameters to let you monitor your aquarium’s health. The maintenance of the filter is easy since it has a single lever that lets you clean the entire assembly without taking out the hosing.
It has a ‘Tri-Ex’ Cartridge that includes a nitrate, phosphate and carbon filter. You can also get other media such as a Phosphate Cartridge, a Nitrate Cartridge, Fluval’s Biological filter media among others, making it possible for you to select options for Mechanical, Chemical, and Bio Filtration media.
- The canister filter provides you with a wide range of filtration media to choose from.
- It has high-quality parts that are easy to assemble.
- The Fluval G6 External Canister Filter works silently and does not make any noises during operation.
- It is very easy to clean and maintain.
- The canister filter comes with an accurate internal thermometer, so don’t need to stick a thermometer in your aquarium.
- It includes a built-in Flow Monitor that flashes the rate constantly.
- The filter has water parameters to let you easily monitor your aquarium’s health.
- The shiny plastic outer cover on the canister flexes and scratches easily, so it may not look perfect for long.
- The inlet and outlet pipes are not labeled.
- The pipes are opaque and it is, therefore, hard to know when they need cleaning.
6) Tetra whisper 20i
The tetra Company that manufactures Tetra whisper 20i is a highly respected company and has been operating for more than 50 years delivering high-quality products for the fishkeeping market.
These filters are primarily intended for small aquariums, 20 gallons and below, and are therefore ideal for tanks with shallow water levels. It is also designed for quiet operation and if you place about 4 centimetres or more below the water level there will be no audible noise from the pump.
- Ability to easily adjust the flow rate using the dial mounted on the top.
- One great advantage of this filter is that it does not get damaged with low-water levels.
- While submerged the motor will start up with no priming required.
- It operates very quietly while underwater.
- One disadvantage is that the motor does tend to get clogged quite often requiring regular cleaning.
The best aquarium canister filter is a great investment for any aquarium owner. It not only makes it easy for you to maintain a healthy aquarium but it also ensures quiet and effective filtration.
We have reviewed some of the most reliable and durable canister filters available in the market today.
The filters vary in price and the features they offer. It is important to select a canister filter that suits your needs and budget. We hope that you have found this article to be useful and that you can now easily identify the top canister filter.
See also: best Internal Aquarium Filter.
- Aqua One: Canister Filters
- First Tank Guide: Canister Filters- Filtering Your Aquarium Water